Friday, December 30, 2005


Doing my honors year

If there is only one big event of 2005, it has to be my decision of doing honors. Not surprising, study-related event makes it top on my very list.

It probably takes my best friend to tell me that indeed I have grown to become more independent. In fact, he highlighted that perhaps to me, the greatest reward of doing a thesis would have been character building rather than the degree. I mean, of course I hope the tangible benefits of having a second upper honors is beneficial during my process of finding a job. But I truly can see the intangible benefits on myself. I am less of a worrier. Because there are jus so many things on the please-worry list that I dont know where to start with. So I reckoned my brain and heart gave up on worrying. I am happier. Because each day, I told myself that tomorrow would be tough, shit-like and bad so I have to be happy today. Besides my body who smartly detected a lie somewhere (my body doesnt eat well, nor sleep well), I believe that mostly and those days were happy. I am still enjoying my current lifestyle, though it doesnt have much of a style to talk about. No longer were the days when I would rattle about my shopping adventures or social gatherings because they are all but rare indulgences for me. Now, I love the days hanging around at home (though it mean another low-productivity day), and even days hanging in the computer lab. Yes I know its not a very cool activity (in fact, its jus a very cold and freezing one), but it allows me to concentrate and work. Also, the strength working together on separate things with other year 4 in the computer lab (that is for the holidays only) is amazing. I didnt make many new friends but in the process I have found nice people and nice friends. Quality counts, not quantity, especially not for a lazy person like me. Lazy people like me dread the process of hi-my-name-is-siying-and-what-is-yours. I know I would have become more independent. Simply because there is no one there that I can rely on. But at the other end, I become reliance on other things also.

I reckoned why the process that I have gone through till now is much better is because of two main reasons. Firstly, I gone in with minimal or no expectations. I don?t know what to expect because I barely know anyone who had done a thesis before. I didnt expect much because my friends werent around so I know "fun" should have been a word eliminated out of my dictionary for the rest of the one year. And I didnt expect much also because its another year of studying and nothing else, I reckoned. I thought, since I know nothing else that I could do, returning back school to do a thesis is the next-best-alternative. Secondly, as much as my friends have all graduated, I appreciated whatever linkages between us. I thanked all the corresponding emails exchanged with JT, the text messages with JY, the encouragements from my dearest friends and of course my best friend. As much as sometimes I do get overwhelmed by your problems and eventually broke down in tears (and in turn need some consolations), often talking to you takes my mind off my thesis.

In fact, I would imagine the days ahead would still be tough. It made me cry. I can see that there would still be times that I would scream about how tough it is, how tired I am, or how much I am still crying over it. But all that, I am enjoying the process and what is left of it (pretty much 90 over days).

And yes, I do remember I cried after the first meeting with my supervisor. AM came all the way to have lunch with me in NUS. Subsequently there were two to three big outbreaks of tears.

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home