Sunday, October 17, 2004

A story i wrote: 5 + 3 = Fighting

It is five solid hours since I have started working on the Financial Market report write-up in front of my computer. We have a total of nine days to the project due, and like our culture (goodness gracious culture that you shouldn’t adopt), we have just started our massive information search on Friday. And by Saturday 16th October 2004, a blank document is finally opened up at 5 plus in the evening.

The following five hours see me leaving the sight of my computer only for the necessities: probably 45 minutes of dinner time, probably 8 minutes break (to have my fruits), two brief toilet visits, a few phone calls but all related to the write- up and probably 15 minutes of blogging and helping my friend do survey. Sometimes I wondered if I am fighting this battle alone as my shoulder and neck started to ache. My index finger is tired to even press the mouse button, while my typing speed began to experience diminishing economies of scale. I am nauseous with the cut and paste function, with the highlight functions, with any functions your Microsoft came with (but dear me, I am still in front of the computer writing this story).

If it was 5 hours of surfing, it wouldn’t be this tough (maybe just bored?). If it was 5 hours of chatting on MSN, it wouldn’t be this lonely (maybe just a luxury). If it was 5 hours of writing a story, it wouldn’t be so foreign.
But now I am no longer foreign to the topic.

5 hours later, I think I probably will have more hours to go tonight. Lonely battle. With only Yan Zi and JJ Lim songs for companion. And I even use my pillow as a cushion for my back (otherwise I fear that it’s going to break).
And about 3 hours later of the 5 hours, finally an 8- page report is up. There are still the usual markings on the word document: those highlighted requires more attention; those that have headings but no paragraphs after it need consideration if it should be included; and those that comes with the “[” and “]” are parts belonging to my other project mate.

Besides this project that is due in 9 days, I have Business Policy that is due in 12 days, as well as International Financial Management project due in a much longer term.

I started out working on this FM report write- up with the usual package of feelings: worries (that I wouldn’t be able to do a good job as compared to other people who spend weeks and weeks on theirs), fear (that I wouldn’t be able to complete timely) and uncertainties (not sure if this topic will stand out from the rest, and if our train of thoughts is right).

But I hang on. I guess it was because there was no other way out really. Even if it meant missing my favourite Korean drama Summer Scent, everything will be worth it when I see each word being churned out of my brain cells. Even if it meant sitting in front of the computer and bearing with the hunger, everything is worth it when I begin to print out my 8 pages of word document, in case something would go wrong in between. Even if it meant it is a Saturday evening spent on homework, everything will be worth it because I think it is worth it. Even if it meant working on it hours after hours, everything will be worth it because I want it to be worth it. I hope, really the grade will make everything worth it.

The writer’s note/ This story is meant to be lightening and to represent what most of the undergraduates are going through island wide throughout Singapore. Maybe you are reading this story while taking your precious break.
Going to grab a piece of bread after I send this out and then going to brush my teeth and prepared myself for another day of battle. Thought of this, don’t know if you agree, but: “The one who wins the battle is not the one with the most weapons, but the one who learns how to operate all of the weapons she owns.”
I will win the battle not because I am more intelligent (definitely I am not one with the brain squeezed full of smart brain cells) but because I am more determined to win the battle.
Oh and ya, life isn’t really only a battlefield. I think this is beautiful: “Life is not a race either, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.” (Quoting from my friend’s MSN nick).
P/S: 5 + 3 + passion = Wining the battle. With passion, a lot more things can be done. Even as I am “complaining” of my body aching, I am still staying up and bearing with my hunger to write a story. All because of passion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home