The two big "what do" in my life.
First what-do, what do Singapore produces? If you are buying presents for a friend overseas and wanted something that is produced in Singapore, or at least something that represents Singapore and our identity, what can you get. I have already gotten a SIA-prints carrier bag, chinese character cushion cover (which technically is more chinese than singapore), pressed-Orchid wallet. And what more choices do I have. No bread talk since we are talking about send by mail via ship or plane. No Charles & Keith (PS: Bata is not a local brand) because you dont usually buy shoes for others. No Gioddano (from Hong Kong rather us) because frankly there is nothing special about it. I have been sourcing for days and still I cant get anything that appeals our Singapore-ness.
Second what-do, what do I want to do. CFA, when it is not really relevant to my current job, because instead of a banking related one, I am doing financal and regulatory related issues in the Telecom/IT industry. Masters in Public Policy, when I am not sure where my career is going, or whether is it too early in the career path to be doing it.
Someone teach me.



6 Comments:
1-1) I usually pack the dry pork (do you call it bakwa?) into air tight bag and carry with me on the plane. My friends and family in Hong Kong love it. Though we do establish the company overseas, but the pork is from local eh?
1-2) Tiger balm.
1-3) Orchid. They sell at the airport. The Westerners love it.
2) Tough one without an actual dialogue with you.
a) MBA ... some are aspired to get into the business and have some jump start with their eyes on the top positions.
b) Project Management? Such as PMP certification. Not sure if you like to do management kind of work.
Do you wanna be a specialist or a generalist? Some like to broaden their horizon when young (most likely end up as a generalist [like me]). Some like to go deep into their business.
Do you enjoy support work (sounds like what you are doing), front end work (more like sales), or client service kind of work?
Ultimately depending on the kind of life you want.
Thanks for your thoughtful advice!
1-1) Can I send that via SingPost? Ok I shall find out. My friend lives in Paris (she's from Viet) and I met her on my first backpacking (not quite since I brought along a suitcase & 2 backpack rather than a backpack haha) trip to Europe a year ago. And we continued to maintain contact.
1-2) Though she might have it there (since she runs a store in Paris Chinatown) I think it would be something practical.
1-3) Yap! I gotten a flower pressed wallet from Botanic Garden for her. Not quite Orchid but its flowers. I wanted Orchid related merchandise but not found a suitable one for her.
So for part 2, I think to go through and digest abit more. I let u know if I have some more questions? Thanks! I was actually thinking (hoping) you might be replying to this post.
Hi there, feel free to email me if you have questions in your mind. Happy to help if I can :) Have a nice day.
Yap thank you! Actually I am taking leave on the following monday- to think through over the long(er) weekend as to what I want to do in the short term.
Have you heard of a book called What Color Is Your Parachute? You can borrow from the library. It is quite a good read for people who are seeking career guidance.
Oh yes I have. Ok I shall try my luck on that book too :)
oh by the way, I have sort of decided (hadnt decided cos I hadnt gone down to look at it) to get an NUS white polo tee and a head & shoulder rub (of tiger balm), together with the flower (not exactly Orchid though) pressed wallet. Thanks for the suggestions! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home