Sunday, November 14, 2004

Something fun for you to think about: How many beige washing machines were sold in Canada last year? (really go think about it and i will let you know the answer if you want)

Something fun for you to make & eat: Boil spaghettis/ macro till edible, add into a pot of Mushroom soup and eat

Something fun for you to read: the two stories that follows


Pieces of my world/ Part I: Your world is at the other end of the globe
Scrutinizing my relatively orderly life, I try to remember things that would upset it.


Just a moment ago, my computer hangs on me, and that to me, is one big upset. I mean, with no expectations that any electronic application would work against you in this worldly environment of tech gadgets (so much so that all the newspapers highlight are the latest, most sophisticated and often expensive technological tools that we can lead our lives without), the computer hanging seems like an upheaval. Just like when the island is inflicted with a power shortage (who could find their candles in time). Or the times when your ringing machine is down and you felt as though you are in ice-land (either the public phones seemed to stop running all at the same time or you don’t seem to get hold of one ten-cent coin or a phone card is nonexistent in your world). Welcome to the world when every sense of logical, orderly technological cells runs in your blood.


Eight minutes before the presentation, we were still in the computer lab, trying to beautify the slides, which would soon lose their values minutes later. Do things come fast and go by this fast too?


When was the last time you checked your mail box? See your first reaction must have been that @hotmail.com or @yahoo.com email account, but no, I mean your postal- snail- mail- box. See, you belong to the world of electronic exchange. Your membership registration is free (in fact unconscious to your knowledge), is by law and for life. (Remember how you felt the last time when you couldn’t access to your mailbox?)


Yet, on the other side of the globe, someone else has never had such problems. They too are occupied with their sets of upheaval. Those sets of upheaval seems to take up only that small part of our days- when we read the newspapers (when you bother to read beyond LIFE!), when we watch or hear the news (not some drama shows that you are addicted to). Alright, maybe it is bigger if you intend to visit that country during the holidays would you bother more about its happenings.


Their turmoil seem so far away from us even though I bet you heard numerous times that the planes make the world seem so close to each other. I guess it is only true for those who could afford it.


Their mayhems are beyond our comprehensive. And my tutor mentioned that wisdom is when we can see beyond the obvious. So are their mayhems the obvious? What is the obvious to you, is not obvious to me.
Their problems could be life threatening could make them so helpless, could deprive them of a life of yours. But all we could hardly remember was: our examinations ahead of us; the shopping spree for the December holidays; the next public holiday; the next mobile sales…


Of course, not all the time, not always.


Part II: Sweet to the tooth
Traces of sweets could be found in my bedroom. On the shelves is a bottle of sweets that I wouldn’t take more than one in a single day. It was a 21st birthday gift from my friend. Each time I eat it, it reminds me of her too.


On my temporarily- set- up- table- meant- to- cope- with- the- exams (so that I can have one more place to study) are mentors, hacks, the rabbit brand sweets. They used to scattered all over the sofa but have since piled on my table for easy reach.


Contrary to your assumptions, I don’t really love sweets, or on normal days (i.e. when there are no examinations, mentors are more than enough for occasional indulge). They are just one of the many phenomenon or signs of examination coming.


Others could be: notes are piled in stacks, more precisely the number of stacks tally with the number of modules I take; never running out of highlighters and pens; calculator is handy; hair bands are in great use; try to include more fruits as diet; coffee is the miracle-like drink that keeps you awake through the day; meal times are more than welcomed (because you can stop studying, indulge in TV without feeling guilty); the alarm clock is more important than the radio; the bedroom door is often closed so that even stretching your ears doesn’t help much in the latest drama developments; you can contribute any/ all laziness around in the house to examinations; you have a list of Must-Dos (Mine include: sleep, blog, shop, sports, attachment, learn everything from excel spreadsheets to regression, to DataStream, to Bloomberg, so that I can enrich and be a Finance undergraduate that I can be proud of- even if I am not doing honors. If I am doing it, then I guess it is a necessity more than an enrichment) after the examinations; you start to plan your shopping adventures with your friends; you suddenly realized you hadn’t been in town for quite some time; you wish you were still doing projects (at least for me); any sleep is better than no sleep; afternoon nap is so tempting yet guilty; sleeping becomes the most favourite hobby while the bed is my best companion; hugging a book and fall asleep is more justified than sleeping without any in hand; the blog is about studying how many chapters of which textbook and how boring life can be before signing off to go back to studying again; the end of the semester terminal symptoms are getting more overwhelming; the body tires more easily than during the holidays, and you get this question right in the face: How many beige washing machines were sold in Canada last year?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home