Which edge?
I sat at the edge of Borders. Actually its outside the lift lobby of Wheelock Place. I could look through the window panes and see the store front. The quietness is just the same that i hear, inside out.
The spot that i sat down on, i could see the traffic junction. Cars drove past smoothly. I didnt feel that i was lonely. Thats the point. The buildings surrounding where i was are well maintained. Definitely rich and classy. A different shade of light as to what i felt when i was at Little India. Here, everything seems to move in pace with time. Maybe really no one would be the evidence of 'behind time'. Maybe that explains the much indifference i felt. It didnt leave me with as much thought as the previous experience at Little India.
Though i dont sense any loneliness, I feel the surrounding seems more lonely than i thought. True, when people fill the place, you dont sense that. But people are merely there, for one purpose or another. They might be there for a cup of coffee before heading back to their 9to5. They might be reading a book during their lunch breaks. They might be shopping... But they are there for their reasons. It didnt matter to them where they are really. As long as there's lunch, there's the air cond, there's the shops... In Little India, the people there live as though they intergrate with the building. You have to be there to feel it.
I saw in a magazine where a local photography- Kay Chin took pictures of Singapore before he left for United States for a new career. Think he came back when he didnt feel he wants to be there. And in the mag, it features a few of his works from his exbihition Panoramic Singapore. I like one in particular, the one he took in Bedok Jetty, where the sky is the highlight of it all. He
says it illustrates a sense of space as well as loneliness.
Space might = to freedom.
Space might = to loneliness.
The next time if you have a day to spare, perhaps go down to Little India for a walk. If any, bring a cam/digicam. That day will be more rewarding than down at Orchard, I promise.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home