Tuesday, July 08, 2008









I have never think much about my food allergies because the allergies had not affected me or my eating habits in too big a way.

I mean I am alright in avoiding the food that I have allergies of- sweet potato (orange and purple), carrot (orange and possibly white- raddish) raw coconut (in huge quantity), 100plus, squid ink. I mean how much sweet potato I eat other than those that my mother will steam, or in sweet potato soups.

Until yesterday, when I see how it can affect the people around me as well, especially when they have to consider the food that I cant eat during ordering, then it irritates me. Especially when my favorite steamboat meals occasionally involves food items such as carrots, raddish and speciality sweet potato noodles.

My term of allergies, SYachecism.

Some know-hows of food allergies

1. Up to 15% of the population report having had adverse food reactions.

2. Many individuals have themselves noted that they are prone to develop adverse reactions to a specific food. They have then dealt with the problem by simply avoiding that food without ever seeking the advice of a doctor.

3. People are constantly being diagnosed with Chronic candidiasis, Yeast allergy or Sugar allergy.
4. Once nut allergy is sensitised in childhood, allergy is usually life long and rarely decreases in severity. Only 10% will outgrow nut allergy, while 80% or more will outgrow egg allergy.

5. Other pollen-food allergic syndromes include Grass pollen allergic rhinitics who have oral allergy to Melon, Orange. Ragweed allergic people may react to Melon and Banana, while Mugwort allergic react to Apple, Carrot, Celery and Melon. People who are sensitised to natural latex in rubber gloves, catheters etc may react in a similar way to Avocado, Banana, Chestnut and Kiwi fruit and may even develop anaphylaxis to these foods.

6. We have seen a rapid rise in the incidence of food allergy in recent years - mainly nut allergy due to the increased consumption of tropical nuts in the UK.

7. Another interesting allergic manifestation seen in adults is that of Exercise Induced Anaphylaxis. In this condition, patients develop itching, urticaria, angioedema and upper airway obstruction with bronchospasm during or shortly after strenuous exercise taking place within a few hours of eating certain foods. This allergic condition may occur up to 12 hours after eating wheat, celery and shellfish especially prawn. These patients have no reaction to the foods if at rest. It is most commonly seen in female athletes usually under the age of 30years.

8. Allergies could be due to genetic background, home environment or modest exposure to the common aeroallergens and allergenic foods.

And yes people do have allergies towards banana. To read more: http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/food_allergy_for_public.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home