6 July 2007 Best of Belleville/ Comparing Metro stations
Staying at Hipotel Paris Belleville, which is near to Belleville Metro station, is one good thing. Not only is it near to Paris Chinatown, Belleville Metro station is on the intersection of blue Metro line (Line 2) and brown Metro line (Line 11). Line 11 provides great access to stations such as Hotel de Ville, Chatelet (the major interchange station).
Before I actually reach Paris, by looking at the black and white Paris Metro station that I printed it from the web, I thought "Oh my god, how am I ever going to find my way around, when I can even get confused with the Singapore Metro?" I guess I am this kind of people: I will whine about doing something, e.g. about how scared I am, but as long as I have make up my mind (which usually takes a long time for me to be convinced of my decision), I will go ahead and try very hard.
When I was in Barcelona, I didnt have much chances to take the Metro. After taking the RERF from the Barcelona International airport to Barcelona City Center, the only exit that I can find brings me to a Metro station. Took it to Jaume I- the first time, which of course took me four platforms to get it right. The second time was when I was going to Park Guell and third when I was going back to La Rambles from Park Guell.
The Metro station in Paris is similar to that of Barcelona. A very different experience from taking the ones in Singapore. In Barcelona and Paris, the platform waiting area seems to be in a tunnel while the train platform is normally dark. Often, to cross from one platform to the other meant that you have to walk quite a long distance. Either that or you have to take many stairs. And yes there is simply no elevator and its super duper tiring if you are like me, lugging two luggage. Worse if you couldnt find the right platform! The signals are either colour coded or number coded but I think Paris signals are easier to get around than that of Barcelona generally. Trains in both cities are quite new, with steel being the material for the handles. For Paris, there are foldable seats near to the doors, which is where I like to sit. One very important difference- if you are alighting/boarding, you are to press the button or lift up the handle by the door before the door opens. Unlike in Singapore when all the doors of the train will open upon reaching each station. It took me a few tries before I could lift the handles on my own without any help. And this is when I know I am new to Paris.
But the ease of taking Paris Metro surprises me since I am really bad with directions and still face troubles in finding my way back to my accomodation. In fact, I take it so often (at least twice a day) until I start to take it for granted that I know the way. It was on Day 4 did I first took the wrong train as I "couldnt be bothered" to double check with the Metro Map, and Day 5 (if I remember correctly) that I took the wrong train because I was texting Zen.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home