Tuesday, May 06, 2003

It leaves you, behind

The (supposedly) neglected lifestyle of the people i saw were what impact me most during my walk through Serangoon, off Little India today.

The aged man sat down on his rocking chair and fanned himself. Under the sheltered walkway, his life seemed in contrast with the shield he had gotten from the afternoon rays. He was almost asleep. He ignored the warmth, he ignored the passing vehicles, he ignored.. In the backdrop was a recently-not-in-use shop i presumed, looking at the peeling of the brightly coat of paint. I walked on.

The whole shopfloor was occupied by old television sets, computer units, keyboards. I would describe the brightness of the shop as the afternoon heat- motionless. A few men wearing singlets crowded around one used computer. Randomly pressing the keyboard to figure out the problem. I walked on.

"This is good. Good buy" An Indian man tried to sell the clothes off to a customer, even though they are already priced lowly. Hand written one-for-all price for the clothes stacked up together- $1 only. I walked on.

The shopkeeper behind the mobile phone and accessories display didnt look welcomed with the questions he received. He didnt make an effort to display that sense of willingness. Or have i neglected them? I walked on.

Vehicles drove in and passed. The crowd moved on. But many activities seem to have come to a standstill. Or have you realise it?

We moved on. To better things. To better places. To more advanced way of doing, playing, living, thinking(?). For a better life.

Does better life excludes simplicity?

Does time, leaves you behind?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home